Tuesday, February 23, 2016

flour, salt and life

This morning (way too early if you ask me) I got up to make my sisters cinnamon rolls for breakfast. As I sat there waiting for them to rises and the oven to heat up I started thinking about the process of baking or cooking ( a very dangerous thing this early in the morning). I thought about how to make the delicious breakfast I took flour, salt, yeast, milk, butter, sugar, yeast and cinnamon. Mixed them a certain way and order to get a cinnamon roll. Then I started thinking about all the applications that flour has. It is in almost every baked good, a thickener for gravies and sauces, it is used  as a coating on fried items and the main ingredient in homemade playdough. All this is achieved by adding and working the flour in different ways. (stay with me here. I told you it is a very dangerous thing me thinking this early in the morning.) The next thought that came up was how God takes men which are on the most concrete of terms the same, the flour if  you will. Add different things to our lives to make us each into a different item. Thing live where you grew up, how you were raised, your emotions, your personality, your worldview, trials in your life. So when God is done working with us we each look and act different even if we started in the same household with the same rules and parents. What I am not saying is that God makes anyone of us to sin but that we run different ways when confronted with a trail or test. Some will run to God as we all should and some will run the other way. In the book of Jeremiah in chapter 18 the Lord God told the prophet Jeremiah to go and watch the potter work. As Jeremiah stood there watching God spoke to him again and said in verse 6 "O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel. "  The same is true for us non Israelites, we are clay in the Father's hand.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment