Monday, December 17, 2018

Life Rubric

For those who don`t know I recently started pursuing a Bachelors in Business Administration through Grand Canyon University online program. Today in "class" the instructor asked us what was our Life Rubric. That is to say what are the forces that drive our decision making and how do we know we are doing thing properly? I only intended to write a short answer to the question but 500 words later I was done.  I hope you enjoy my long answer to a simple question.

    What are the "life" rubrics I use? Each thing on the rubric ties to a person in my life. I want to be dedicated like my Grandpepe, He stayed married to the same woman for over 70 years. 40 years into his marriage, when he retired, he learned that the wife he thought he knew was a stranger to him. At some point in the first 40 years of marriage my Grandmeme started to drink a lot, she still does, but because my Grandpepe was never home during the day to see it he had no idea it was so bad. At one point my Grandpepe told my Meme (grandmother) that he was thinking about divorcing my Grandmeme. But he did not because he made a promise to her to stick with her till death do them part. This is only one of the characteristics that made Grandpepe so special.
  The next item on my rubric for life is I want to be generous like my Uncle John. Uncle John died six years ago this past June. The thing about Uncle John was he would give you the shirt off his back if you need it. When I was about six or seven years old my mom decided to take me and my four sisters on a trip to visit her sister in Kansas and my dad was not able to come. This trip happened only about a year after 9/11, my youngest sister was only about one year old. Uncle John dropped everything and took the trip with us. He helped my Mom get all of us to and from the planes in the airport, at one point we got on the wrong plane. If not for my Uncle the trip would have been a complete disaster. Everyone who knew him said the same thing, He would go out of his way to help others. That is want people to say of me.  

   Third item on the rubric is I want to be loving like my Meme. Meme after having six kids decided that she wanted to adopt. My Meme and Pepe (grandfather) adopted a total of six kids. They took kids at no one else wanted, kids labeled special needs. Some had previous adoptions be disrupted for some reason or another. Some of the kid’s birth parents were in jail for drugs and stealing. One of my Uncles was in 22 foster homes before he was seven years old. Meme loved them all, she still does. She gave them childhoods that they never would have had elsewhere. Meme would tell you that she is too loving, too trusting. But I think she has so much love in her from her father, Grandpepe, that it can not but help to spill over all over the place. I love you, Meme!

  Forth, I want to be a woman of faith like Mom. My mom has had some tough hand dealt her. But she never gave up on God or her family. When I feel discouraged, frustrated or upset Mom is the person I turn to. I have watched her as she has dealt with lack of finical resources so that she could stay home with us five. I have watched her as she dealt with the loss of her brother, Uncle John, and her grandfather, Grandpepe. I watched her support my father as he went through the loss of his mother, father and brother Uncle Doug. Through it all she just grew closer to God.

   I could go on and on but I have already taken to much of your time. Sorry for being so long winded and Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment